Today we pray for those who are far from God, lost on their journey towards salvation or have never heard of the love of Jesus Christ before. These are your friends and my friends. Our neighbours, our family and co-workers.
“I am sending you to open their eyes, so that they may turn from darkness to light and from the power of Satan to God; that they may receive forgiveness of sins and a place among those who are sanctified by faith in Me.” – Acts 26:18
If salvation is the work of God, our first response in seeking the salvation of someone who is lost is prayer to God that He may move upon their heart. Here is some specific ways to pray for salvation of another person.
1) Pray that the Holy Spirit will convict the person of his need of Jesus Christ.
“And when He (Holy Spirit) comes, He will convict the world concerning sin, and righteousness, and judgment; concerning sin, because they do not believe in Me; and concerning righteousness, because I go to the Father, and you no longer behold Me; and concerning judgment, because the ruler of this world has been judged”. John 16:8-11.
Special note here that the judgment is of the ruler of this world (Satan) and in Christ you can no longer experience this judgment. Sin also is a conviction of the heart. We cannot point out another’s sin. It is a work of the Holy Spirit.
2) Pray that the Holy Spirit will open up the mind of the unbeliever to receive the things of the Spirit of God. 1 Cor. 2:14 states, “But a natural man does not accept the things of the Spirit of God; for they are foolishness to him, and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually appraised.”
3) Pray that God will draw the person to Himself. A man cannot come to Jesus unless the Father draws him to Christ.
John 6:44 No one is able to come to Me unless the Father Who sent Me attracts and draws him and gives him the desire to come to Me, and [then] I will raise him up [from the dead] at the last day.
4) Pray that there will be a door opened – an opportunity for the gospel to be presented in truth and love.
“Devote yourselves to prayer, keeping alert in it with an attitude of thanksgiving; praying at the same time for us as well that God may open up to us a door for the word, so that we may speak forth the mystery of Christ, for which I have also been imprisoned; in order that I may make it clear in the way I ought to speak.” – Col 4:2-4
5) Most importantly pray that the spirit in which the good news is received is the heart of God towards humanity – a heart of love.
1 Corinthians 13:1-7 If I speak with human eloquence and angelic ecstasy but don’t love, I’m nothing but the creaking of a rusty gate. If I speak God’s Word with power, revealing all his mysteries and making everything plain as day, and if I have faith that says to a mountain, “Jump,” and it jumps, but I don’t love, I’m nothing. If I give everything I own to the poor and even go to the stake to be burned as a martyr, but I don’t love, I’ve gotten nowhere. So, no matter what I say, what I believe, and what I do, I’m bankrupt without love.
Loving can be the most difficult thing to do sometimes. We will pray today for the Supernatural ability to love even the most unloveable!